Sunday, April 26, 2009

SNOW

Hey guys, Alex here. I thought I better put a post up because Whit will scold me if i don't..and I want to of course.

So yeah, as Whit said is was an early 4.30am start for me but luckily the taxi came on time and all went smoothly. Apart from the driver presuming I was from England...I corrected him, but he thought he knew better..."No, you have an English accent, you're English"...So apart from that it went smoothly...

So I arrived at the airport checked in and found my gate. This was the first chance I've had this trip to read my book! The flight was very short, only 1 hour, and the seat next to me was free so there was a bit of room for me to fidget around in. There was a middle ageed man sitting on the other side of the empty seat though and after 30 mins of silence he passed me the newspaper he was reading and pointed out an article. "People are crazy" followed by the classic "they didn't do that in my day!". Intrigued I read the article and it was about two young people being found naked in a dumpster together. So that was a bit awkward but I agreed it was strange and from then on to the end of the flight we were very good friends.

Flying into Calgary, my new friend had heard about my enthusiasm about snow and pointed out the window as we were descending...SNOW. Not the full winter, everything was covered, kind of snow, but it was still snow. And I was still very happy about that.

So after picking up my bags I sat down and waited for Jack to come and pick me up. Seeing as I wasn't sure what uncle Jack looked like, I kept an eye out for someone who was limping (a clue left for me by Meels and Jute before they left)and who might slightly resemble my dad. In the end it was Aunt Shielia who came to pick me up, she noticed me, probably looking like a lost teenage traveller. We stick out like a sore thumb. Luckily.

Another moment of note was my first real snow experience, which came hand in hand with the buying-of- my-new-computer experience. All day it had been doing what I called snowing, but everyone else called..."more hail", but stepping out of the car and walking to the shop, Shannon (my cousin) pointed out that this was snow. Needless to say I was VERY excited. Everyone else felt it was far to late in the year for snow, and the snow still on their lawns should have melted by now.

Wacthed most of the hockey game of the Calgary Flames but they were losing 5-1, so we turned it off.

Very abrubt ending here because Jack's making waffles for breakie!

3 comments:

  1. hey Al
    I think that snow thing is totally awesome!! Aren't you cold but? I'm cold here and there is no snow in sight.
    So hows ur camp and stuff??? I miss you man!
    Camp Summit is sick I love it, this 6 months is going to be sweeeet.
    Anyway hope ur well, post ASAP bro!
    catchya later... skype me sometime?
    whit

    ReplyDelete
  2. hows your teepee??
    xxx missing you

    ReplyDelete
  3. alexxx!!!!
    you bought a laptop? i thought you were the poor one. i guess u had to buy one to do these posts and i just thought i should let u know im reading all of yours aswell as rangas.
    love your trusty supporter!
    miss u oox

    ReplyDelete