Saturday, May 9, 2009

Training and kiddies

Hey guys! It's friday night, second week of camp chief hector (CCH) and I've undergone all my staff training for the spring season and have had my first group of campers come through.

Our Spring season is made up of different school groups of kids about the age of 12 coming for the week, tuesday through friday, to learn about the outdoor lifestyle in canada, and to experience tipi living! So my tipi is called Yamnuska and its in a wicked spot on the top of a hill with a near 360 degree mountain view! During training last week we all stayed together in tipis but we sadly had to part when the kids came this tuesday. Unfortunately I was also fairly unpracticed at the tipi fire so Ben (nature name-Spark) had to come and help me out but since then you'll be glad to know my fires have been roaring!

So I had a group of 9 kids all in grade 6 who were my responsibility for the week. The most difficult bit is having to have 24hour care of the kids so you cant let them go off in pairs to do anything...maybe incase they get eaten by a cougar or something...but it's still a bit of a pain and by the end of the week all the councellors are mighty sick of entertaining the kids and everyone is ready for a night/weekend out in Banff or Canmore or Calgary which is what we've done for the last few weeks and it's been great fun!!

I only get an hour of in the evenings and take that time to hang out with the other councellors so I don't have much time for the internet during the week....and on the weekends I don't bring ym camera cord but I promise at some point to upload some photos. I still have moments when I realise I'm completely surrounded by huge snowy mountains and it's so great! All the people are great as well and I feel like I've known them for years instead of just a few weeks, it's crazy.

Hope Perth is all good. I get alot of hassle from the other Aussies about being from Perth, one of the teachers of the school had never even heard of it! I was appalled. As well as being from the other side of Australia from everyone else, apparently I have a weird accent as well, so I get everyone from Canada and Australia making fun of me, but its all good...I'm just different :)

1 comment:

  1. we know you are different alex... just special (schpechial) but we still love you over here in perth... maybe you just shouldn't leave your home town where you are accepted!!!

    ReplyDelete