Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Scottish Ramblings and Scraps of London and Oxford

Ok so I know I have been pretty slack of late keeping up to date with where I am and what's been happening... this became particularly evident after a rather charming email from my Dad:
'Hey Is, we got into Manchester midday yesterday. Where are you? Love Dad'
After reading that I decided if my Dad didn't even know where I was, sure thing no one else did, which was precisely the point of the blog in the first place. So, to define my current whereabouts seemed a worthy idea. Right now I'm on a train from Edinburgh to Manchester, having just been in Scotland for about a week, spending time with Sarah at her gap placement in Perth (more specifically near a small village called Bridge of Earn) and with my mate Anna in Edinburgh who I met in the summer at camp.
So that is where I am right now. However, when I do get this post up on the net I won't be there anymore... there's no net on the train see. Ah irrelevance and how I manage to contain it in these posts.

Just a quick note on where I am right now before I go on to describe where I have been... looking out of the train window (one of my absolute favourite new hobbies, how did I ever get bored on long trips before?) is a particularly delightful scene during this journey. Rolling farmland, tree-lined paddocks, tussocks of grass frozen still by the thick frost, the strong green of the hills diluted by it's almost pearly sheen. It is almost fairytale like in quality, I half expect a small imaginary creature that is usually found gracing the pages of Rowling's work to bound out from the hillocks, dancing some jig that for some reason is associated with all critters of the like.
Oh man, my first icicles! They hang like translucent daggers from the barbed wire fence, natures own small deterrent, sharp as a knife but as likely to crunch and crumble as the frosty grass beneath my feet. The train has paused, almost as if it too is admiring the small gasps of blue sky that penetrate the wooly grey blanket of cloud, allowing a few rays of sun to trickle down to the land below, merciful golden drops providing a small moment of relief for some bird or mouse than happens to find its way into the pool of light.
And on we trundle, a large metallic slug creeping its way through the green expanse, its steely trail interrupting the postcard-like cottages and barns that dot the patchwork of paddocks and pastures.

I wish I could relay to you exactly how it looks, but half-blurred images taken through a scratched window just can't do the majestic yet simple beauty of this countryside justice. I could waffle about it for hours, every time I glance out the window I see another classic scene just itching to be penned (well, I suppose in this case typed) but no, sacrifices must be made if any progress is going to result.

So my last half-post... this was originally intended to be it's other half, but I feel sufficient time has passed to give it its own, also not having the net and not knowing what I last wrote, I can't really provide the seamless transition between older text and new that would be needed.
I think I left off farewelling North America, so I must have landed in London by such a point and so I will go on from there. Apologies for the somewhat brief manner I am going to cover things, I get stuck if I go into everything.

It seems this darn window may actually provide more of a distraction, every time I avert my gaze from this screen I see so many endless grassy expanses just itching to be sprinted across, frolicked about in and in general just enjoyed thoroughly despite the mud and ice. Some of this frost is so thick I'm starting to mistake it for the first snow. Ah, a tunnel! Hiding the splendour for just a split second, only to reveal even more spectacular wild hills and slopes screaming out for someone to slide on.

How does one get anything done on this train? The view is literally rendering me absolutely worthless.
Ok, I will just admire without translating everything I see to literature. Easier said than done. However, I will do it. Have to do it.

Landing in London was a strange experience. The first time I had left the North American continent in a remarkably long time, and also only the 2nd continent I had visited since leaving my home one. Considering by the time I arrived there I had been away from home a while, it seemed an odd milestone. Nevertheless, landing was combined with that apprehensive excitement, the feeling all travelers know and are addicted to, the 'I'm in a New Place' feeling. You know the one. Love it. Anyway, Alex, Ben and I stepped off the plane brimming with this, only to have it somewhat drained away by waiting by the luggage carousel. For ages. And ages. Until every last bag had disappeared. A quick 'Um, so.... all our stuff is missing...' to a nearby airport worker got us the answer we expected. Our gear had been misplaced/delayed in Dulles. We filled out some forms and organised for them to drop off our gear at the address we found ourselves staying at. Leaving the airport (without being security checked at all, we literally walked past the customs officials leaning on their x-ray machine chatting over a cuppa) and hopping on the tube, we realised how lucky it was that our bags were not with us as the underground really is not roomy enough for 3 smaller packs, 3 bigger packs, 2 guitars, a tripod, 2 snowboards and 2 sets of ice skates.

We spent the next 2 nights in London, investing in a Big Bus tour ticket that lasted 48hrs. A sweet way to get about the place and see all the sights as well as learn about the city from the tour guides. A definite recommendation for winter travel over a short time period. London also happened to turn on the weather for us, it was absolutely beautiful. Sun shining, sky azure as home, the air itself was a rather mild 10 degrees or so.
Some facebook aided interaction helped us organise a visit to Oxford to see Chloe and have a mini-Fitzroy reunion. She met us at the bus station even though our bus was horrendously late. A few quick, excited hugs before we were off, bustling through the streets of Oxford, winding between crowds of Christmas shoppers, doing our best not to take people out with our packs. The modern shopfronts and buildings abruptly gave way to a huge ancient stone wall, looming above the street. It was the boundary of Christ Church, Chloe's (and therefore the best, she said) college, one of about 30. We dashed through Tom Quad, the beautiful stone gate scarcely receiving a glance as we hurried to get to the Hall in time for dinner. Climbing stone stairs anyone who had seen the first Harry Potter film would recognize, we passed through the huge double doors into the Hall. Images of knights and nobles raced through my mind, the long wooden tables, set for many, the walls clad with numerous portraits of notable Christ Church alumni, including Henry VIII and John Locke.

Again, I am unable to finish! I apologise profusely, however, just being reunited with my family is a pretty exciting thing and I am pretty busy. I'll write again soon I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment