Monday, November 2, 2009

Phoenix: Pink Jeeps, Fine Dining and a Re-assessment of 'America'

Hey crew

Just thought I'd clarify, I am in Toronto at the moment, but this post is intended to be about Phoenix where I just was. I would have posted from there, but I was having way too much fun with Dave, Vicki, Summer, Kylie and Mum to spend the time it takes to write a post. However, being in Toronto by myself provides a multitude of time. Mainly because I decided I didn't really want to be too far from the apartment I'm staying at after dark.... and it gets dark at like 5pm. Anyway free Toronto Public Library Internet sounded pretty good to me.

So Phoenix was a really sweet time, the Vacala's picked me up from the airport and from then on they were the best hosts ever. It was like luxury, having my own room, not having to sleep in a sleeping bag, getting to choose what we ate... heaven! Vicki even took me to Sprouts to buy trail mix as I told her I'd been craving nuts since camp is a nut free zone. It's crazy how much Summer and Kylie have grown since I last saw them about 4 and a half years ago. They're so big! And fun to hang out with. We had some good times playing airplane and walking to Walgreens to buy Arizona Iced Tea. You know it tastes even better in Arizona... and at only $1 a giant can how can you say no?

Anyway so Mum arrived a couple of days later (after Vicki and I went and bought amazing Belgian chocolates and even more amazing Belgian chocolate drinks) and I was pretty stoked. It was so nice to be able to see someone from home, especially Mum, after quite a while. At first it was kinda weird having a Mum again, but I liked it!

We got down to business once Mum arrived, going to San Tan Flats for dinner... best burgers ever!! Then we went hiking at South Mountain amongst the most cacti I think I have ever seen in my life.
Vicki drove us to Sedona to go on a Pink Jeep ride through the red rocks. It was spectacular, despite being incredibly windy and a little chilly. For a while I had an advantage coming from BC to the much warmer climes of Arizona, but after a week or so my internal thermostat seemed to revert to Australian sensitivity. However, I thought I was going to be colder once I got to Toronto, but so far 8 degrees and one hoody seem to be doing ok. We'll see how it goes if it snows on Thursday like the forecast says.
Anyway.... that night we spent at the college town of Flagstaff. It was amazing to be able to literally see the climate changing as we drove to higher and higher elevations, the cacti quickly disappeared to leave large shrubs which progressively became tall Alpine trees. It was pretty sweet. Flagstaff was neat, had an amazing dinner at this place Vicki frequents that was really good but I can't remember the name of for some reason. It sort of snowed that night, just like the blowy stuff that is really more of a nuisance than anything else but Mum and I didn't think so. Novelty of falling snow definitely not worn off yet. I'll keep you posted as to when that will happen. Don't hold your breath.
Before we headed south to warmer climes, Vicki drove us to this really large crater that was quite literally in the middle of nowhere. And when I say nowhere, I mean nowhere. Like, it was so nowhere there weren't even trees or shrubs or anything. Just kind of lame looking grass and a few rocks. But the crater itself was cool, it was like 50 000 years old and created by a very large iron meteorite. It was so big, you couldn't see a 6ft tall painted person at the bottom with the naked eye from the viewing platform on the edge. Just large. You could fit like 6 football games in the bottom or something. I thought it was pretty cool.

Once we returned safely to Chandler, having narrowly missed a decent size dust storm, Mum, Vicki and I got down to proper business. Shopping. Mum found lots of interesting shops and ideas to no doubt pester the family with upon her return. JOKES MUM LOVE YA! I actually think they are good ideas! Saw a couple of Williams-Sonoma stores in Toronto today. Anyway I discovered a Vans store so promptly spent the most money I have in AGES... but well worth it I feel.

I really hope that's not rain I can hear.... I don't want to walk home in the rain!

Digression? A tad. Anyway so Dave and Vicki had a little partay on my second last night which was super cool, Mum and I got to meet a bunch of their mates. It was really fun, they were all super nice and asked me heaps about my trip and stuff. Loads of them had traveled a decent bit too so it was cool to share stories and that.
My last night was Halloween, and I was lucky enough to be taken trick or treating for the first time, at the ripe old age of 18, by 2 genuine Americans in a genuine American neighbourhood. Result? 173 pieces of candy. Yep. And apparently that was a low figure as the neighbourhood isn't finished yet. Last years take was in the 300s. Ridiculous? Delicious! It was actually super fun walking around seeing everyone in their costumes, all the houses were like super decorated with pumpkins, lights, fake gravestones, inflatable skeletons, music, dry ice, the whole shebang! All the parents were like chillin out the front of their houses drinking beer and handing out lollies. It has a really cool vibe actually, maybe we should try and see if it will catch on at home. Upsetting for me, I couldn't physically take the gigantic piles of candy I had managed to stockpile, but Summer and Kylie were more than happy to take the rejects off my hands. I will probably not have to buy a chocolate bar until I return home, which I suppose from a budget perspective is pretty good.

So to sum up my trip to Phoenix I must say it was really enjoyable. Staying at the Vacala's house was awesome as it was like living with a family again. Also, the places I went and the people I met helped me shrug off the unfair stereotype of 'Americans' that is constantly perpetrated by overseas media and formulate my own opinions on the country and its people. Sure, there are those who can be ignorant or racist or whatever (just a quick note, I always knew Dave and Vicki were definitely not the stereotypical American Aussie media likes to scapegoat... just in case it sounded weird), but they are certainly not even close to being as widespread as the Australian and UK media would have you believe. Also, the country itself is not an urban wasteland, but home to some beautiful scenery and untouched ecosystems, that are quite hard to come by in modern times. What I mean by all this is, I urge any non-American, next time you have a go at the Seppos, try to avoid generalizing them or their country, as it is a pretty amazing place home to some really cool people.

Anyway, enough rambling. Photographs often tell the story better than words, so here are some of the shots I took whilst in Arizona.

Photobucket Mum with the rather amusing cactus we found on South Mountain

Photobucket Me in Fat Man's Gap, at South Mountain

Photobucket Mum and I on our South Mountain hike

Photobucket Mum and Vicki at South Moutain

Photobucket Summer and Kylie, looking very grown up compared to last time

Photobucket My Halloween pumpkin

Photobucket Vicki, Mum and I trying not to get blown over whilst on the Pink Jeep ride in Sedona

Photobucket Some of Sedona's beautiful erosional formations

Photobucket The Pink Jeep

Photobucket Us with the Pink Jeep

Photobucket Ever wondered what a 50 000 year old meteorite crater looks like? That.

Photobucket Mum and I at the Crater

Photobucket The flattest, emptiest place I have ever seen a giant hole in the middle of.

Photobucket Mum and Dave at the Morning Glory cafe having breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment